This project was the initiative of our Chair Dr. Roger Doudna, a delegate at the 2015 Paris Climate Summit.
The Assessment was funded by
- a grant from the New Findhorn Community Association (NFA), and
- the sponsored use of the “Our Impacts” calculation tool ( developer: Ecometrica, the Edinburgh based software company).
In 2006, a study (by GEN Europe, the Sustainable Development Research Center and the Stockholm Institute of Environment) was commissioned to calculate the Ecological Footprint of the Findhorn Foundation and Community. It reported an overall calculated result of 2.71 global hectares (gha)/resident, with guests achieving 2.10 gha/resident. Combining the two resulted in a weighted ecological footprint of 2.56 gha/resident – then assessed as roughly half the UK average (N.B. in 2005 terms the Earth’s gha/capita biocapacity was calculated to be 2.1).
calculated 9.5 tonnes CO2e per person, effectively the UK average.
However when this shocking emission figure was ‘compensated’ by the electricity generated in our own Wind Park and by the trees planted by local charity “Trees For Life”, this unimpressive result tumbled to 3.5 tonnes CO2e /resident, roughly a third of the UK average. Thus
a Carbon Project is born!
Some comparative data to bear in mind
- In order to halt the global temperature increase, each individual only has a carbon budget of about 2.0 tCO2e
- The average UK emissions are 9.8 tCO2e/person, or 13.4 tCO2e/person (incl. all greenhouse gases)
- A return air trip economy class New York-Inverness emits 2.4 tCO2e.
- Emissions/person of CO2e using various transport means: Inverness-London return:
- Bus 63 kg
- Train 107 kg
- Air 376 kg
- Car 413 kg